Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The hole in the Wall



So, I did it. I fought the good fight. I stood up to the man and said "no way... not gonna do it" (Dana Carvey as Bush 1.0). I moved into a new apartment and I didn't get cable, or any other TV service. I said, why do I need this? There is no reason for it. Sure, I may work full-time in the media and marketing business, and television is certainly a big part of that. And, yeah, I have a really nice TV that I very much enjoy. And yes, I love watching new movies and honing my craft and professional work through the intake of the works of others... But no! I don't need this cable. I don't need to be paying for television! I have an antenna! I can get all my local channels for FREE... over the AIR! Mad Men Style!

But I failed. I failed miserably.

From about September to May I working a lot... a lot a lot. I was hardly home, and when I did come home it was dark and there was prime time TV on the broadcast networks. And often I was so tired that I felt more like going to bed than watching TV.

But now it's summer. Combine a better understanding of our workflow at work, and less to do in these lazy months and I find myself with this strange free time. Add on top of that the fact that I live in a beautiful little town... a wonderful little place... where everyone is married with kids. I am not. This town isn't designed for people my age. Its designed for people with great jobs and dogs. I live here because it is quite, nice and 7 minutes from my office.

So, recently I have found myself itching to get television service installed. I have looked into every option, and I want DirecTV... oh MAN do I want DirecTV! FiOS isn't available to my apartment, and I maintain that Comcast is basically evil. However, I am not sure if I'm allowed to put a dish on the roof of the building. And so Comcast may be my only option! Evil little buggers.

But yeah. I tried to stand up to the establishment... I tried to save the money, and forgo paying for television service, but i just can't. The world doesn't work that way. For my own sanity, I've decided to give in.

2 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

Congrats on your new place!

May I ask about your past experience with our company that may have lead you to that conclusion about our company?

Regardless, please know that we are here to help in case you decide to choose us as your service provider.

Thanks,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

The 'Ghetor said...

Mr. Casem: I would direct you to some of my other posts regarding your company. I found the customer service terrible. The technicians you sent were almost always very nice, but everyone else i dealt with at comcast made it one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life.

For the entire time I was a customer of your company I ended up having to call to complain, or dispute charges that were almost always not valid.

This experience is making me VERY hesitant to come back to your company. Also, i don't understand why a company would charge extra for HD service when HD is available over the air for free. I think your competitors are realizing that by offering Free HD For Life.

I would need some convincing that your company deserves my business again.