Monday, February 9, 2009

An Update on My Generation

My last rant was in regard to my shock at my parents generation over estimating the power of the internet for our television viewing habits.

One of my many points in that post was about how we don't want to watch low-resolution content online when we can watch high resolution content on the TV. Since writing that I have discovered that there is high-res content on sites like Hulu.com. However... they are still not as good as watching the old tube, and here is why. They load really freaking slow. REALLY slow... and then, once they are loaded, they play back at a TERRIBLE frame rate... skipping and jumping, and re-buffering. Not a good solution.

And, yes, you could blame that on the internet to which i subscribe, but i have the fastest cable internet that comcast offers... so i don't see how that is a viable argument. I realize that cable internet gets slower and slower as more people use it... but fiber optics and other forms of high speed internet are very expensive. I still feel that my point stands.

Anyway... I concede that there is High Res stuff online, but I still have to watch it in my desk chair, and the quality is not acceptable.

No comments: