Friday, February 29, 2008

Post #50... still scratching my head over Sodexho

This is my 50th post... although some of them shouldn't count.




Ok, so Sodexho lost their contract with the school, and i really don't think anyone is surprised in the least. But Sodexho never seems to make me stop asking "what the hell...?"

A couple days ago it was the "mashed potato bar" at the new "Red Hot Chef" station. First of all... doesn't take a "chef" to make instant mashed potatoes, but i will let that go. At least they have some variety.

What was astonishing and confusing, and unnecessary and just weird was the presentation. It was not the assortment of toppings one might chose to have on their mashed starchy vegetables... two kinds of cheese, bacon bits, (i may be making this up but i feel like there were other vegetables too like broccoli and onions and such). Maybe I am too American, but my mashed potatoes have butter... and that is about it. Maybe salt.

Still, this was not the shocking piece of Brooks Potato Puzzle. Nay, i tell you, the shocking piece was how they were served. In Martini glasses... Martini glasses. Glass Martini glasses. Who the hell needs their potatoes in martini glasses? Didn't really make them taste better, and I can't say i felt classier. What i felt like was a crazy guy, in an institution as i walked back to my table with a martini glass full of moist starchy glop. I felt like someone in a long white coat with a stethoscope might walk up to me and say "excuse me, Mr. Charles, but why are you eating that out of a martini glass?" and my institutionalized, crazy response could only be "because it is classy... and it keeps the warlocks at bay... duh."

Also, Sodexho bought glass Martini Glasses... I'll repeat that... The BOUGHT Martini Glasses. Either this or they store them in the sealed cardboard boxes in which they were originally purchased. I am sure this is a worthwhile use of money at Brooks...

"we could buy better food this week, oooooooooor... i found a great deal on Martini Glasses... eh...? eh...?"

"but what would use the Martini Glasses for? We don't have a liquor license..."

"why, potatoes of course! we can mash them, put them in a frosting bag that bakers use, and then squeeze the hillocks of starch into the Martini Glasses! It will be *classy*"

"ok... if you say so..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right, they bought martini glasses for the mashed potato bar. pretty ridiculous. and yes, there were vegetable toppings.

bye bye ron.. .dont let the door hit you on the way out.

The 'Ghetor said...

Could not have said it better myself mr./mrs. anonymous.

Miss Book said...

Okay, mashed potato bar, I can give them that...it's sort of like a baked potato bar, right? I actually sort of like the idea, not gonna lie. However, MARTINI GLASSES?!?!?!?! That. is. ridiculous. and GLASS ones? Even more so. Wow. Maybe they are trying to make you sorry that you are losing them and their creative serving techniques... Thanks for the picture, because otherwise I might not have believed you :)

Anonymous said...

What I love is it has been almost a month and the martini glasses have not been used again. Good thing they spent all that money to use them ONE time.

Maybe Simko took them home to drown his sorrows... he sure looks like one lost puppy walking around campus these days. Makes me smile.

The 'Ghetor said...

yeah... my arch nemesis ronnie sims has never really struck me as much of a puppy... something too mopey and old. But i agree. Almost a month and no sign of the martini glasses. We should ask for them to be used more... not that Sodexho cares much about our requests anymore.


oh well.