Tuesday, June 17, 2008

iPod Nano, or iPod Nana?


A) Status of "The Battle to Make Friends With the Cat"... I'm still losing

B) How is it that Pittsburgh traffic is so inconsistent? Today i left the house at 7:30, and was at the office... inside, and at my desk eve, at 5 till 8. last week i left at 7:25 one morning and was not here until 8:35... whatever. Its quiet if you get here early.

C) The Ballad of Gramma and the iPod.

So, my grandmother was thinking about getting an iPod, but of course was not able to open one up at the store and play around with it. So when i showed up for my stay with her and my grandfather, she asked me if i could give her some help in looking.

I gave her my iPod and a pair of production headphones (the bigs ones that would make you look like you are guiding an airplane to the hangar if you only had large orange flashlights in each hand) and i showed her the basic functions. I got her hooked up with my Frank Sinatra collection, and she was off to the races.

After a good 30 seconds she took off the headphones and said "that sounds so good!" so i told her just to play with the thing as long as she wanted, and i went off to the other room to talk to my grandfather at his desk.

A few minutes later we can hear a buzzing noise... then footsteps and she appears in the doorway. "STEVE! YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS! ITS AMAZING!" Patiently and lovingly he indulged her as she put the headphones on his head, and then... then she pushed play.

I thought my grandfather was going to have a heart attack. He jumped about 8 feet out of his chair... then bobbed up and down with the music, took off the headphones and said "that is nice!"... i had forgotten that my grandmother had taken out her hearing aids before putting on the headphones... (smacks forehead with palm).

Anyway, she looked at him and said "i want one. and now we need to get a computer..." and then wandered off smiling, and listening to Frank.

my grandfather just hung his head, looked over at me and said "what did you do?... this is terrible... just... just terrible."

No comments: