Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Pittsburgh Commute Race




Driving in this morning, i hit almost no significant traffic. I have been toying with the idea of getting a a motorcycle or a scooter to save on gas prices... i am even thinking of riding my bicycle in to reduce my gas usage... not cause it is green... but because i am a capitalist, and it makes better economic sense.

So today, I was sitting at a light on Grant Street when a cyclist from the office passed me on the sidewalk. We had to get up to SoHo to the office, so i ran a little experiment (my engineer grandfather has me hooked on figuring economic stuff out like this). I figured, i'll drive the speed limit like i always do in the city, and see who gets to the office first.

I paced it just right, hit every light green, or just about to turn green, and when i turned down the side street to get to our private lot, i could see that bike-boy was a good two blocks behind me.

I had, indeed, gotten to the parking lot first. But then i realized i had a good block and a half to walk to get into the building.

Bike wins.

He even had to ride up hill, through Duquesne. Bike wins.

However, i am lazy, and don't enjoy being sweaty, or riding in loafers. Time to start looking for a scooter...

No comments: