Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Replace the Word "Rebel" with "Nerd"

I think it is no secret that I loved Allegheny. I loved being there, the people, the classes, the professors (i guess they are part of 'the people') and the history.

So, every now and then I run a google search on the school, and look for stuff on ebay... just to see what is out there.

One thing that is not out there in the ether? The Seal. The Seal of the College is not out there. Almost every other institution of higher learning i could think of has a seal that can be found online... not us.

So I asked someone who is working in public affairs or community relations, or the office of keeping things at Allegheny Secret and exclusive if they might be able to get the image online somewhere. The answer came back "they are really strict about where the seal goes, and don't want it just getting out there, so they won't put it online."

... deep breath ...

Really? This seems odd to me since I not only have a mug with the seal, but a sweatshirt and coasters. How official is a coaster? Or a sweatshirt? I doubt the bookstore has some kind of copyright on the thing for financial gain, and Allegheny isn't big enough that they would have to worry about someone standing on a street corner selling counterfeit gator gear. Its like the school thinks they are the masons, and if someone can find the seal online and translate the Latin and the Hebrew, they will suddenly have control over the institution.

Oh yeah... they also gave me a diploma with the seal on it. Maybe I'll scan it.

I'm such a rebel.

No comments: